The Young Pope: A True Masterpiece


I've waited a little before writing this post,because I had to see the last 2 episodes of The Young Pope, so I can have the whole image.
As far as I'm concerned this is the best movie/ series of 2016 and I couldn't find any flow yet.
With The Young Pope began my crush for Jude Law and his huge talent.



The new Pope is the youngest American Pope, Lenny Belardo , who was raised by the age of 8 by sister Mary in an orphanage after he had been abandoned by his hippie parents.
This is a theme that will follow him through all the episodes, looking to find them and why he had been abandoned.
As he says, he's a contradiction: drinks Cherry Coke Zero for breakfast, smokes, prays for a woman to get pregnant and she does, doesn't like to be seen in public, loves babies, is cynical and arrogant.
But he's also a conservative and wants to restore the old glory by being mysterious and untouchable.
It is impossible to forget his first speech in front of all St Peter's Square : "What have we forgotten?"...." We have forgotten happiness"


By knowing everything around him he succeeds in maintaining his position. The episode 8 is very powerful and you begin to understand why he's called a saint.
Episode 9 has a beautiful monologue with Lenny staying on a beach and talking about lost and found love.  
"What is more beautiful my love? Love lost or love  found?
Don't laugh at me, my love, I know I'm awkward and naive when it comes to love and I ask questions straight out of the pop songs.
To find or to lose?
In the end, my love, we have no choice, we have to find it".
You can imagine a forbidden love story between Lenny and another woman, but this isn't going to happen, he's way to conservative.
Episode 10 brings Lenny in Venice, addressing the people with a lovely speech, still searching for his parents. The end is quite unexpected and leaves an open door for a second season.

Rome and Vatican are lovely, the architecture, the gardens, the costumes, everything is perfect.
Jude Law made an incredible role, going from a cynical and arrogant pope, to showing his insecurities, his softer side , building this image as a whole. There is no doubt about his great talent or beautiful face :) 
I hope there is going to be a season 2 because it totally got me and I will see these 10 episodes again and again for sure!



Comments

Popular Posts